Dates have all the goodness that one needs, be it their sweet rich taste or their health benefits. The calorie content of dates is similar to that of dried fruits like raisins and walnuts. Dates have a significant amount of fiber which is important for overall health. They are rich in antioxidants which reduce the risk of diabetes and promote heart health. Dates are rich in copper, selenium, and magnesium which are very important nutrients to keep your bone health and prevent bony-related disorders. It is also rich in vitamin K which helps to regulate the coagulation of blood and helps metabolize your bones.
Nutrition value of Dates
They are a very rich source of vitamins and minerals. Experts advise on eating dates daily as a snack to help one feel energized. Dates are:-
- Free from cholesterol
- Low fat
- Rich in protein
- Rich in dietary fibers
- Vitamin B1, B2, B5, and B3
- Also, contain Vitamin A1 and C
- Good source of magnesium, Iron, and potassium
- It is a natural sweetener
They are especially rich in Vitamin K, A, and B6 which help in bone development and improve eye health.
Types of Dates
Medjool Dates are large, soft, and considered to be the most flavorful dates among all different varieties grown. They taste excellent when eaten fresh because of their high moisture content. Medjool Dates stay good for 12- 15 days at room temperature. Dates fall into the category of superfoods. Some other varieties o Dates are:-
- Barhi:- Known as yellow dates
- Dayri:- Black in color
- Halawy:- These are small in size
- Hayani:- Red to black in color
- Migraf:- They are large and golden
- Iteema:- These are big and extremely sweet
Of all of these Mejdool is supposed to be the most delicious and common variety of black dates which are rich in fiber, potassium, and antioxidants.
Health benefits of Dates
- Reduces constipation
- Improve heart health
- Regulates cholesterol
- Improve bone health
- Regulates blood pressure
- Enhance sexual health
- Treat Diarrhea
- Promote Brain Health
- Boost energy
- Promote weight gain
- Prevent night blindness
- Support healthy pregnancy
Dates for skin and Hairs
Dates (two to three per day) can give you results for stronger hair in a short amount of time. “Being rich in iron, dates improve blood circulation to the scalp which helps in faster hair growth. This happens as oxygen is properly dispersed to your entire body, ultimately preventing hair loss and stimulating new hair growth.” It strengthens the hair follicles and hair roots, preventing breakage and hair loss too.
“Dates are an excellent source of Vitamin C and D, which boost collagen production leading to increased elasticity”. Dates are also extremely rich in antioxidants, especially tannins, which prevent cell damage and oxidation and help reduce inflammation. They contain nutrients that enhance the strength of the subcutaneous tissues, which results in softer and smoother skin. The antioxidants present in dates keep the effects of free radicals in check and delay the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. They provide amazing benefits to hair and skin like:-
- Provide skin elasticity
- Reduce wrinkles
- Gives a natural glow o the skin
- Promote hair growth
- Prevent hair loose
- Smoothen hair
- Give shine to hair
Best way to Eat Dates
- Because of their inherent natural sweetness, dates are often used as a substitute for white sugar in confectionery.
- Use chopped dates to sweeten your salads or cereals, or have them as a midday snack.
- Swap maple syrup, honey, and agave for dates to sweeten up smoothies, or use date paste as a sweetener in desserts like cakes or pies.
- Dates also work great with cheeses or nuts, making stuffed goat cheese or chopped nuts on a pitted date an indulgent but nutritious appetizer.
- Apart from this, dates also lend themselves as a great binding agent due to their stickiness and can be mixed with nuts and nut butter to create energy balls and granola bars.
Photo credit Google